While the heat may have soared into the triple digits today, I was still in a good mood because one of my favorite people paid a visit to my humble Hartford abode this evening.
Meet Rachel: dear friend from college, wonderful former roommate, future physician, and all-around wonderful person. She is such a good friend that she decided to brave my third floor apartment heat to see me on her way back home to upstate NY. It takes a special person to be willing to deal with the Hood in triple digit heat all in the name of friendship. I heart her. 🙂
After enjoying a nice Vietnamese meal, Rachel and I headed out to the grocery store to get the ingredients for one of her favorite “dip” recipes.
This stuff is formally labeled “Fiesta Dip,” but Rachel likes to call it “Corn Crack” because it’s truly addicting!
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can shoepeg corn
- two bell peppers, diced (whichever color you want; pick various colors for optimal visual pleasure!)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Tiger Sauce
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- Rinse and drain black-eyed peas + corn. Mix peppers, onions, corn, and black-eyed peas together. Set aside.
- For sauce, combine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and Tiger Sauce. Note: the Tiger Sauce was a gift from Rachel and is known to be found only at Wegman’s, a grocery store chain found in upstate NY and some of the mid-Atlantic states. If there is no Wegman’s in your area, substitute Worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, or sweet + sour sauce in place of the Tiger Sauce.
- Dump sauce onto vegetable mixture. Mix and let sit overnight in fridge….OR eat immediately. Because it’s awesome. Drain excess liquid as needed.
….and the sauce!
Rach and I devoured the corn crack. Seriously. This stuff is delicious and just perfect for summer parties, sporting events, and the like.
We enjoyed our dip with some tortilla chips.
A nice and refreshing no-fuss dip for a hot, hot night. Assembly was a breeze, and consumption was even easier.
We ate a ton of the stuff while watching the latest episode of So You Think You Can Dance on Hulu. I’m in love with that show.
Just take my word on this….the Corn Crack/Fiesta Dip is tasty stuff. It’s easy to make. It has some vegetables in it….we’ll call it healthy. Make it soon!
Question: What’s your favorite summertime dip? Salsa? Guac? Bean dip?