Yesterday, Lisa of Lisa’s Foods on the Move bestowed my blog with its first (and hopefully not last!) award:
The Fabulous Sugar Doll Blogger Award!
Thanks so much, Lisa! I really appreciate the acknowledgement. 🙂
As a recipient of this award, I am to list 10 little-known facts about myself and then pass on the award to 5 other bloggers. Before I get to my list, I just thought I’d see if anyone knew anything about the origins of this award. Where the heck did it come from? And the name? I’d love to know the story behind it! The name made me smile. Heck yes, I’m a fabulous sugar doll blogger!
Don’t keel over in anticipation of my list, now. Here are a few tidbits about yours truly:
- I have played the piano since the 2nd grade and can bust out a Chopin, Beethoven, or Gershwin tune like it ain’t no thang. 🙂 I also compose my own music on occasion…when the mood strikes me.
- I am a huge film buff and have a surprising amount of Oscar trivia stored in my head. I am one of those rare weirdos who watches the Oscars not for the fashion, but to see who wins the awards.
- I was a DJ at my college radio station for four years and had a weekly show called “The Spicy Revenge.” So named because my musical choices are always very spicy!….my DJ partner and I played mostly jazz, blues, and classic rock songs.
- I began eating sushi when I was three. Thanks mom and dad!
- I love watching Jeopardy anytime I possibly can. My dad and I watched it together nightly when I was in high school.
- I have a soft spot in my heart for certain (okay, many…) 70s and 80s soft rock entertainers like Hall & Oates, The Doobie Brothers, and Phil Collins! I have also been known to belt out George Michael’s Careless Whispers while in the car. It’s not pretty…
- I can spend hours upon hours looking at maps. Hand me a topographic map, and I’ll be set for several days at least.
- I find weather to be absolutely fascinating. The Weather Channel never ceases to entertain me, and it is my lifelong goal to see a tornado (from a safe vantage point of course).
- I started cooking less than a year ago, and it has quickly become my newest passion.
- I am notoriously messy. No matter how hard I try, my room always manages to explode once I tidy it up. I blame it on entropy.
I’m going to pass this award onto the following ladies!
- Gina @ Simply Life
- Courtney @ Pancakes and Postcards
- Alycia @ Fit n Fresh
- Danielle @ Runs on Greens
- Faith @ Lovely As Charged
You all have such wonderful and inspirational blogs, and I can’t wait to read your lists!
For dindin tonight, I tried out one of the recipes that caught me while perusing my latest issue of Cooking Light this past weekend, and boy am I glad I did! Check it out:
Avocado-Buttermilk Soup With Crab Salad
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatillos
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp minced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 8 oz. lump crabmeat, drained
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a blender and let ‘er rip until smooth.
- Combine bell pepper + remaining ingredients in a separate bowl until well-mixed.
- Portion soup into four bowls and top with crab mixture.
This soup was probably one of the best cold soups I’ve ever had. Honestly. I’m not even the biggest fan of cold soups, but this one rocked my socks off. The avocado base had the best flavor, and it paired perfectly with the citrus-crab mixture. Mmmmmm…..I’m already looking forward to the leftovers on this meal!
While photographing my soup, I chuckled to myself about how much the soup looked like a green monster topped with crab. Now, THAT would be an interesting (and probably terrible) taste combination. Don’t worry….I’m not tempted.
I hope some of you are tempted to try out this soup though. It’s soooooo good! Thick and chilled and creamy and packed with flavor! Have I sold it to you guys yet?
Just do it. Make it. You won’t regret it.
Nighty night, blog loves!