Because I’m leaving Hartford in less than five days, my meals are becoming infinitely more random. Normally, I’m a huge fan of the “one pot” meal concept, but in my attempt to avoid going to the grocery store between now and my departing date of Saturday, I’ve started making more segmented meals featuring a protein + a healthy carb + lots of veggies. No relation among the three. Nothing tying them all together. No unifying theme!
In other words, lame.
Well, maybe not lame….but random.
This upcoming week of dinners will probably feature many more of these “random dinners.” I have lots of frozen fish and burgers to use up! Tonight, I went with a salmon filet which I allowed to sit overnight in a ginger-teriyaki marinade. Once I started getting hungry this evening, I broiled it for about 6 minutes.
Wham, bam. Thank you ma’am. Done before you know it!
I had a big pile of steamed broccoli for some greenage….
….and a side of Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains blend.
Has anyone ever tried this? It’s one of my favorite things from TJ’s- full of texture, color, and great taste! Before I leave Connecticut, I think I’m going to have to pick up a few more bags to take back with me to Trader Joe’s-less Colorado.
This meal was simple, clean, and colorful. Just what I needed to get back on track after an indulgent weekend!
Matt tagged me to do a 10 Random Facts post; and since I’m all about the randomness (as I mentioned above), I decided to roll with this and pull out some random gems from my life for you all to check out.
1) Even though I am almost 23 years old, I still have two stuffed animals that I treat as though they were people. One is a dolphin named Chelsea, and the other is a killer whale named Mikah. I got both at the San Diego SeaWorld when I was 4….because I was apparently not the most creative 4-year old in the world, I named them after the orca and dolphin that performed for us that day. I love my stuffed animals! 🙂
2) I can touch my tongue to my nose. What can I say? I’ve got skillz….or a very long tongue. Maybe both?
3) I hate the color pink. I don’t know why, but I do. I just don’t think it looks good with my skin tone!
4) My favorite store is Anthroplogie. What girl doesn’t like this store?
5) I’m an obsessive sports fan, and I know as much about football as most boys. I look forward to autumn not only for the fabulous weather and beautiful foliage, but for the return of FOOTBALL SEASON. Give me football and some buffalo wings, and I’m a happy camper. Although, I must admit, I’m all about the NFL and not college football. I like to see some semblance of a defense during a football game, thank you very much.
6) I was on my high school swim team for three years. It was my “other” sport during high school, and I was actually a much better swimmer than I was a cross country runner. Not that I was particularly good at swimming either, but I didn’t come in dead last in my races (unlike my x-country races! lol).
7) Stepping on a pile of crunch autumn leaves automatically perks me up if I’m feeling down. I don’t know why, but that lovely crunching noise makes me indescribably happy.
8 ) I hate fruit stickers. For some reason, they freak me out. They’re flimsy and pop up in the most unexpected places after you think you’ve already discarded them. How do they do that? Is it a conspiracy? Either way, I don’t like ’em.
9) I’ve been skiing since I was five, and I just love spending time in the mountains on my skis. Always have, always will. Nothing beats the feeling of a series of tight turns carved out in fresh powder.
10) I am a seasonal knitter. The second it drops below 70 degrees in the fall, I’ll bust out the knitting needles and knit a bevy of scarves and hats. Come the spring when it hits 50 degrees, the knitting needles go back into retirement.
Hope you enjoyed another sampling of my quirks.
I’d love to know some of your quirks….Tell me one random fact about you!